Posted: 29.07.21 at 09:18 by Tom Avery
The Congleton Pride team is "disappointed" to report that a banner advertising next month's event has been vandalised.
The banner was placed on railings beside the roundabout at Aldi in the centre of Congleton, pride team members visited the site to secure the banner at 5.45pm on Wednesday. By 6.15pm the banner had been "torn down".
Richard Walton, Congleton Pride trustee said: "We had been back to the site to fix the banner with stronger wire as it was getting creased.
"When we came back half an hour later, all the eyelets were ripped because it had obviously been pulled down with considerable force."
Earlier this week, the charity expressed its ‘disgust and disappointment’ that a banner advertising Congleton Pride 2021 was removed from a billboard at New Life Church.
Ronan Clayton, chair of Congleton Pride, said: "This is very hurtful for local LGBTQI+ people and it shows how necessary the pride movement is.
"When a different banner was taken down earlier in the week, we received a lot of messages of love and support from the people of Congleton.
"It is obvious that whoever has done this is in a small minority and we are determined that the haters will not win.
"Our pride team will continue to stand up for everyone's right to be who they are and love who they love. We are looking forward to a fantastic event on 21st August."
Congleton Pride has reported the incident to Cheshire Police and has issued an appeal to anyone who may have witnessed what happened or has any information to contact Cheshire Police or the pride team on 07855798014.
SEN slot: 5:30-6:30PM This is an hour-long fun-filled session led by a dance/party entertainer where children will: - Sing Christmas songs - Play...