Congleton: Cheshire East set to approve almost 500 new homes despite Town Council rejection
By Alex Greensmith 28th Jan 2022
A developer has revised plans for a 454-home scheme in Congleton, making it more likely to go ahead.
This was after councillors were unhappy the affordable homes were smaller than the market value houses.
Outline permission for the development on the land between Manchester Road and Giantswood Lane at Hulme Walfield was granted in 2019.
But at its last meeting (December 2021) the council's strategic planning board deferred the reserved matters application, which deals with the design and layout of the scheme, because of concerns over the size of the affordable homes, the location of the affordable housing within the site and to consider whether the estate should have a 20mph zone.
Redrow Homes has now revised the proposal and it is due to be considered at Wednesday's (February 2) planning meeting.
The council's planning officer's report details a number of changes made to the various house styles including the smallest type being removed entirely from the development.
The officer says: "The applicant states that in comparison to the private dwellings, this means the three-bed affordable is 48 sq ft bigger than the three-bed private dwelling, and the two-bed affordable is 39 sq ft smaller than the two-bed private dwelling."
With regard to location, four blocks of affordable units have been moved across the development so affordable housing is now located in each quadrant of the development. Redrow is also happy for the development to be a 20mph zone but David Malcolm, Cheshire East's head of development management, had told councillors in December that if there were requests for 20mph that would have to be dealt with at a future date. Congleton Cheshrie East and Town Councillor Suzie Akers Smith, had previously said a 20mph speed cap would make it a more 'liveable community'. The Welsh housing developers are set to be quids in with the new development, as enough councillors are likely to vote approval to get it over the line. Congleton Town Council has objected to the scheme for a number of reasons including, insufficient affordable housing and the footpath and cycleways not linked to the Congleton Link Road.Eleven neighbouring residents have also raised contacted the
CHECK OUT OUR Jobs Section HERE!
congleton vacancies updated hourly!
Click here to see more: congleton jobs
Share: