Travellers to be handed notice ordering them to leave Congleton Leisure Centre within 24 hours

  Posted: 06.04.21 at 13:19 by Tom Avery  

us on Facebook

  See our new Community section




An unauthorised encampment of travellers which has set up camp on a playing field behind Congleton Leisure Centre will be handed a notice ordering the families to leave within the next 24 hours.

The group consisting of at least 10 caravans — reportedly moved onto Hankinson's Field on Good Friday at around 5.30pm.

Cheshire East Council has confirmed the group will be issued a notice saying they must vacate the playing field.

A Cheshire East spokesperson said: "We are aware of an unauthorised encampment of 10 caravans and associated vehicles on Congleton Leisure Centre’s car park, which reportedly arrived on the evening of 2 April.

“Cheshire and Warrington Traveller Team, who manage unauthorised encampments on land owned by the council, visited the families and welfare checks have been carried out.

“A legal notice will be served on the Travellers later today, which requires them to leave within 24 hours.”

The news comes after another group of travellers were ordered to leave the town's leisure centre car park off nearby Worrall Street just over a week ago.

The same group then moved onto Antrobus Street car park before they were issued with a Section 77 notice by Cheshire East Council ordering them to move.

Cheshire Police told Nub News that while the police were involved, the local authority was "responsible" for managing unauthorised encampments.

As well as Congleton, there are currently encampments in Alpraham, Middlewich, Chester and Northwich. There were also encampments set up in Wilmslow and Nantwich last week.

Like this article? Sign up to our weekly newsletter...
An encampment of travellers has set up camp on a playing field behind Congleton Leisure Centre. The group consisting of at least four caravans and ...
Read more...

Share: