Senior Ecologist (EXPIRED)
Your new company
Hays is partnered with the most active and successful UK land promoter, housing over 100 staff based in Cheshire. They are specialists in achieving planning permission and maximising land value and have over the years developed a wide range of professional clients from central government, local councils, developers and major permission.As part of a wider major housebuilder, your new company creates development opportunities through the planning system in partnership with landowners. Significant resources are invested into research, specialist studies, investigations and producing robust evidence to ensure a successful outcome for all parties.
They are looking to expand their in-house ecology team to continue maximising environmental sustainability on each of their developments.
Your new role
They'll welcome you and the qualities you bring in joining a wider team of experienced planners, project managers and technical advisors working on a country-wide portfolio of residential projects. Their approach is team-based bringing together a focused group of people working on large and small sites. This is your chance to influence site proposals from the outset and to provide an ecology-led solution.
You will be expected to:
- Provide key links between our range of ecology consultants and the planning / projects team.
- Provide excellent ecological advice.
- Prepare and review Preliminary Ecological Appraisals (PEA), Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA) and shadow Habitat Regulation Assessments (HRA) reports
- Conduct initial habitat surveys - ideally
- Prepare Biodiversity Net Gain (BNG) calculations and reports
- Consult with regulators and statutory bodies
- Engage and manager stakeholders
What you'll need to succeed
- Degree in Ecology or Environmental Science or equivalent
- Ecological experience, ideally in environmental consultancy
- Proven experience in the management of complex ecological issues
- In-depth knowledge of relevant legislation and policy
- A wide understanding of terrestrial ecological issues and preferably holder of at least one protected species licence.
- Demonstrable skills and experience of preparing PEA, EcIA, Ecology Chapters of ES and HRA
- Experience and working knowledge of UKHab classification and the Defra Metric.
- Excellent data analysis and information management skills
- Membership of CIEEM
- Ability to work well in multi-disciplinary teams, building effective working relationships
- Excellent planning and organisation skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and to meet strict deadlines
- Strong communication skills, including technical report writing skills
- Strong commercial awareness
- Current and full driver's licence (travelling may be required to sites - enquire further)
What you'll get in return
- Competitive Salary: £35,000 - £50,000. Please feel free to apply if your expectations go beyond this salary range.
- Competitive Bonus Scheme
- Pension scheme with employer contribution up to 10%
- Private Medical Insurance - Single Cover
- 26 days' holiday (increase by 1 day for every 3 years' continuous service up to 29 days)
- Choice of Flexible Benefits
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies
What you need to do nowIf you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.